View Single Post
Unread 05/01/2012, 11:44 AM   #9
hvacman250
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownfishSushi View Post
Are these the same breeders recommending that you nuke fragile fry with harsh chemicals? Don't be so quick to write off the lighting...

I run 24 hour lighting the first day. I don't want the fry settling down immediate after hatch. I want them hunting and active. My fry don't get a dark period until day 2. Why don't you try keeping them active like I do?

No one listens to me but I swear by my slow-drip fry tank. Here's a link. When you suddenly get 100% success rates, you know who to thank. : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLVDyjDNtOQ
I'm totally not being unappreciative. I really do thank everybody for any input. I've tried about every possible scenario over the past 12 months (so about 24 spawns) and this seems to be the hang-up.

I also run 24 hour lighting for the first couple days. Remember, though, my problem is with the first 8 hours after hatch. About 25% are normal; the other 75% seems to have a neurological/some other defect. As soon as they hatch, they settle to the bottom. If you light them up, they twitch off the bottom, do a couple spins, and settle back down. Ive tried a low wattage CFL directly at the tanks surface, same light diffused, over head ceiling fan light, blue CFLs for moonlights (both at the tank and at the ceiling). Ive tried every possible lighting scenario, but I need to figure out what is physically wrong with the doomed fry. I really dont think there is another lighting scenario to try. FYI, lights out is 10 pm. Fry hatch between 10-12 pm. By 6 am the "doomed" ones are dead. This cant be from lighting or starvation. They look good when they are on the bottom, its almost like they dont have the strength to swim. Parents are well fed; 4-6 times a day with a variety of quality food. At 80.5*, hatch is 8 days, so there is egg sack left. Maybe its genetic with the parents ???

The drip method is a method Ive been planning to implement for a year or more, but I have no room currently. With 10 pairs of clowns, 18 growout tanks, and 4 fry tanks, there is just no room.

Next hatch is am going to try sterilizing the equipment with Clorox but rinse well. Setup as normal with .0265 parent water thru the UV as normal, BUT lower the water to 1.020ish by hatch. Then no rots or greenwater until morning.

Current Tank Info: 220 in-wall reef, clownfish breeding/growout system, 20L coral QT and 29 fish QT
hvacman250 is offline   Reply With Quote