View Single Post
Unread 04/12/2016, 11:27 PM   #29
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I think they need fairly large tanks. And to my knowledge they hardly ever get imported.

If you ever manage to get some share pictures here.

Feeder shrimp should be good to train them on frozen. It worked well for the Aulostomus chinensis I had in the mid 90s.

Just don't use coarse coral gravel in a tank with such fish that may fit into their mouth, only very fine sand or pieces way too big to suck up. My Aulostomus sucked pieces up when they must have been going after pods or food leftovers on the ground. They couldn't get them out on their own and suffocated before I came home to help them. When the first of them died this way I thought it was just a freak accident, but a few weeks later the second died the same way. It is a typical issue with these kind of fish.

BTW, do you have Kuiter's Seahorses, Pipefishes and Their Relatives? There are so many cool pipefish out there, but only a handful is actually imported. Last weekend I was lucky enough to find a pair of Doryrhamphus janssi locally

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote