View Single Post
Unread 03/31/2017, 10:20 PM   #11
Lsufan
Registered Member

If u aren't going to do socks then u won't do the first section that is in the pic with the holes for socks.

The water will enter the skimmer section, then u will have a bubble trap which is the 3 baffles close together in the pic. It will go over the bubble trap to the next section which will be eighther the return or fuge depending how u want the sump configured. Then u will have one more baffle seperating the return & fuge. U only need the bubble trap after the skimmer section. U don't need one between the return & fuge because there shouldn't be any bubbles, so just a single baffle to seperate the return & fuge.

No matter what the water will enter the skimmer section. U can eighther go skimmer>fuge>return or skimmer>return >fuge. If u put the fuge in the middle then the water would just flow through the sump. If u put the return in the middle & the fuge on the end then the water will enter the skimmer section, flow to the return section & u would feed the fuge from your return line & let the fuge flow back to the return section. I like it this way because u can have more water volume in the fuge because it can be deeper then the rest of the sump. It also lets u turn off the fuge without turning off the whole system. U can also control the flow through the fuge seperately then the flow through the sump. It is harder to set up with the return in the middle because u will have more plumbing to do.

It's easier to setup if u put the fuge in the middle & the return on the end because the water will enter the skimmer section, flow to the fuge then flow to the return. So u won't have to feed the fuge from the return pump. The downside to this setup is the fuge can't be deeper then the skimmer section so u will have less volume of water in the fuge, U have to turn the whole system off to clean the fuge & u can't control the flow through the fuge independently from the flow the the sump.

I would do a search on sump configuration & do some research so u know which way u want to go. If u want the fuge or return in the middle section. Once u figure out which way u want to go then u can figure out the layout of the baffles. I find it easier to go to the browser & type in what u want to search & put reefcentral behind it instead of trying to search straight from reefcentral. I'm always on my phone so I go to the safari & type in what u want to search,something like ( sump configuration- reefcentral)
I find doing it like that gives u more options then using the search function directly on reefcentral.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote