View Single Post
Unread 12/10/2015, 11:45 PM   #2330
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

@DNA hey, I did your plastic square experiment on the sand with a couple of frag bases. The spots where they were left for a week then removed remain clear of dinos.

@kazalla This is very encouraging, your tank is really rebounding. I don't know what that green algae is either, but I'd like it in my tank.

@acabgd DNA means that if we knew which species people had we could get some real info and give better advice on what methods to use. DNA and I both have Ostreopsis and interestingly our infestations follow the same course; mine is just 'younger'. I've noticed on this thread that people with O's tanks start out the same way mine did. It may be that the problem 'develops' with different (and more annoying) symptoms the longer it goes on and people who nip Ostreopsis in the bud won't see all the problems we've had.

Re microscopes, I certainly understand budget limitations; I'm self employed and can't afford most of the stuff I'd like. You surely know someone who has a 'scope and will let you use it for a couple of minutes. Vet clinics, local high school, tech college, university, your doctor.. You can take pictures through the microscope using an ipod or phone. They look like *** but all we really need is the general shape to narrow it down. See my photobucket for ipod pics.

@ridetheducati SPS are notoriously fickle. As you probably know, the symbiote that powers corals is a dinoflagellate, so dino X very likely weakens corals severely even when used as recommended.

@Jewilson83 Following with much interest! I've forgotten whether you have sps or not but I'd still recommend making sure you have low but detectable n and p after treatment, even if you have to dose.

My tank: major issues, I seem to have hit a critical mass of dinos. Dead conch, half my hammer coral is gone. Alk is unstable again which is a BAD sign, and that funny smell is back. Running tons of carbon and dosing N but levels will not come above 0. Doesn't help that my flakey pump quit again and I'm not getting paid till Monday. Grr.

holy wall o text
ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote