View Single Post
Unread 10/01/2015, 03:47 PM   #81
KingTriton1
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael View Post
ok maybe Im missing something, if it is effective in a reactor as others have shown, and the reactor doesnt empty during a power outage, the matrix would be in the same conditions during a power outtage in the reactor as it would if placed/hung in the sump correct? It would still be submersed in water with no flow in both cases. I do see there may be an advantage to sump use over reactor in an outtage simply due to the increased water volume in the sump may be able to provide the aerobic bacteria with o2 longer than in the small space of the reactor.
I think you pretty much summed it all up. I have less rock in my display so part of my matrix is being used to utilize the beneficial aerobic bacteria. The question that I have is if all the nitrifying bacteria does die within the reactor what effect will it have on the denitrifying bacteria within the reactor or main tank (if given that you have a substantial amount of nitrifying bacteria present). If given it does affect the life of the denitrifying bacteria and you carbon dose then I see a potential problem. I'm no expert here just giving some thoughts.

KingTriton1 is offline   Reply With Quote