View Single Post
Unread 07/05/2011, 05:37 PM   #5
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

@d3hree - Thanks for the words of encouragement! I've been watching you're build as well and wish I had your rendering skills. I'm too embarassed to even post my Sketch Up attempt. It sounds like you've got a solid plan so I doubt you'll have any problems once you get to the epoxy stage.

@dave.m - I have not come across any practical limits on size of a wooden tank especially in regards to deflection. There are some huge tanks out there and with wood you have so many ways to prevent deflection. On really large tanks, many people actually use more of a wall building technique (think 2x4s attached to the plywood) that would make things very rigid. Also lots of ways to do cross bracing so I think there are really many more options to prevent deflection on a ply tank vs glass or acrylic. I think cost becomes the practical limit as you go up becuase at some point I would think concrete becomes more cost effective. However, I have come across an 8000 gal plywood tank in my internet travels. Check out the DIY section on monsterfishkeepers.com. There are some seriously huge plywood tanks over there. Worth checking out even if they are primarily freshwater.

CyclistMT is offline   Reply With Quote