View Single Post
Unread 10/30/2017, 10:00 AM   #2799
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Chasmodes! It's funny, I take pics AFTER I've ripped most of the macros out of there, so you see it in it's post-haircut look. I should post some pics somewhere between this and overgrown, so I'm showing more of what it really looks like, most of the time.

Here you can see a little of the pearling I was talking about. I went in and cleared off the DSB of most of the macros that were creeping in. I want to have a good view of any new growth in the grasses. I'm seeing one or two new shoots but nothing major yet.

The red and the black gracilarias have become like a turf. Rather than single plants, hundreds of tiny versions are encrusting the DSB rock planter especially. It's not a good look. After hours of obsessively picking them out, there are still tons of them littering the bottom. This is where a temporary herbivorous fish would come in handy. Bring it in for a week or so to clean up, then remove it to the quarantine tank. I'd be all over that idea except for the issue of catching the fish!

For the most part, I'm happy with how things are progressing. Right now, the thing I'm most excited about is the back wall. I'm finally getting a good variety of plants growing on it. If all goes well, it should be getting pretty impressive in the next month or so. The seagrasses still seem pretty stagnant. The pearling is a very good sign, so I'll stay the course and keep observing. The caulerpa racemosa peltata continues to grow back. I'm happy to see it return, as well as the green color it brings. I just need to keep it in check, so it doesn't overrun everything else.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote