View Single Post
Unread 11/06/2017, 10:20 AM   #16
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Fair enough on your first point, I'd actually agree that the ability to produce a protective slime coat could be considered as part of the totality of the immune system. Really not following you on your second point though. Fish can certainly exhibit the white telltale spots, only to have them disappear and not return. Why that is is ultimately speculative. Had my first tank 44 years ago, though perhaps that extra year imparts disproportionate levels of wisdom

I don’t think one year makes much difference in the life of a reefer.

In the situation that I mentioned about receiving Blue Tang with white spots evident thru shipping bag from Divers Den. Remember Divers Den has quarantine > 60 days. Because the fish was on its side and breathing rapidly I released in into 25 year old display tank. Within two days ich spots disappeared. Within one week all itching and scratching stopped. No other fish in this twenty five year old 75G tank displayed symptoms.

Here is a video of that fish in that tank.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FDt8QTAp0Cs

Do I think ich has disappeared from this tank? NO, it is dormant and alive. I have heard the, “ich in the gills”. Ich hidden in gills in not a reality. It has been offered as a truism to explain a contradiction in dogma for ich treatment in reef tanks.

I have read scientific papers on this issue. To fully understand one discrepancy is to look at the testing protocol and language. In discussing the different time frames for the different life stages of ich, one should examine in detail the language written about the dormat stage life cycle in substrate.

Most mature in “ X amount” of days caught my attention. It only takes one to begin the cycle.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout

Last edited by Subsea; 11/06/2017 at 11:35 AM.
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote