View Single Post
Unread 11/17/2017, 06:56 AM   #270
McPuff
Registered Member

Chasmodes, I think the open frame stand will look nice. Maybe just consider putting a "partial skin" on it to hide all seams from the 2x4s. And if you can router the edges, even better!! It should look really nice.

As for the calcium reactor, you would not regret getting one. It's so much easier than dosing and seems to lead to faster and nicer coral growth. DIY is not very hard at all. This is what I did and it was my first ever Ca Reactor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Thanks Subsea. I suspect the oyster shells contribute to some of the problem and I'll have to deal with it always at some scale. My goal is to minimize it if I can't eradicate it. Another issue is that I'm currently using well water until I get my water changing station and RO/DI up and running. A major step to accomplish this is that I need to run a dedicated electrical line to my basement to run my equipment. Right now, I'm using extension cords on my minimal equipment. Basically, I need to convert my mess of a basement to a full bore fish room.

On another note, I've been toying with the idea of not making my stand into a closed cabinet style stand, simply to reduce workload and time. I might find a way to finish it as is, and keep it open underneath. Right now, it's made of 4x4's, 2x4's and plywood, so I need to explore some finishing options to make it look nice. I guess I could just paint it and then build a facade later if I can't get it to look nice. Why the change? A friend of mine sent me a pic of a cubish reef tank where the stand was open with a large sump underneath, and it looked great. The only difference for me would be that my sump is in another room, and underneath the tank would be an open space. This might wind up being a lot cheaper option for me too. If I go this route, it would free up money so I can buy a CO2 reactor.

First things first though, I need to have an electrician come do some work for me. I have to fund this regardless of what I do with my stand.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote