View Single Post
Unread 03/10/2017, 12:16 AM   #102
Johnseye
Reef Addict

Beginning in late January I started having a problem with my Clacfeeder Pro. The PH was rising and DKH falling. I began troubleshooting with PacificSun on the issue. I would flush all gas from the chambers filling them to the top with water, and letting the CO2 fill the gas chamber appropriately. The PH and DKH would be fine to start then over the course of a week to two slowly change. I changed out my tubing, checked for cracks, refitted the silicone gaskets but still had the issue. Under PacificSun's guidance I closed the exit tubing and turned on the pump to build up pressure so I could try and determine where the leak might be. Water came out the reactor chamber but nothing leaked from the gas chamber. There was no opening for air to get in the chamber. That's what we believed to be the issue. Air was getting into the gas chamber decreasing the amount of CO2.

I am using Reborn media and PacificSun hadn't tested with that so they thought it might have been the media. I almost spent $200 on Dastaco media, but instead went with what PacificSun recommended, ARM. ARM has the highest solubility of any reactor media, metastable at 8.2 or so they say. I have read it is highly soluble which has also been reported as too soluble. Regardless, I needlessly spent another $80 thinking that may be the issue.

I found out what the problem was when I came home from work last night. There was water under the controller and in the pump. The pump tubing had formed a leak allowing air in and ultimately widened enough to let water out. PacificSun is sending new tube and grease. I asked for a new controller just in case mine has an issue from becoming wet. In fairness it does turn on and appears to work. My request was denied. I'll have to swap out the tubing. Hopefully it's not too hard, and hopefully I don't have any controller issues.

This troubleshooting process took way too long. The rising and falling DKH has caused stress on my coral and I have lost a few. Hopefully if anyone else starts having this problem they can look to the pump tubing right away.

New 260g build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557715

Current Tank Info: 260g reef, Giesemann Spectra MH/T5/Kessil A160, Dastaco CaRx, Vortechs, Lifereef skimmer, Red Dragon 3, Apex, Genesis, Angles, Tang, Trigger, Clowns, Anthias, Wrasses, Cardinals, SPS, LPS
Johnseye is offline   Reply With Quote