View Single Post
Unread 05/03/2018, 07:57 PM   #18
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdan View Post
I had actually considered that (though never tested it), but I've found with the screen on my older tank that I have to replace the netting about once or twice a year as the intense lighting and inevitable salt creep seem to make the netting brittle and cause it to eventually rip. And once there is a little rip the whole things needs to be replaced as the rip eventually gets bigger and bigger.

So the good part about this design is that in order to replace the netting I just pull out the spline, put some new netting on and then very tediously put the spline back in. Not necessarily fun, but a fairly standard procedure. As opposed to with glue where you'd have to sand/scape all the glue off and then do the gluing process again.
You definitely want to make the mesh replaceable. I use the BRS mesh over my old tank for a couple years and after time it gets brittle and tears easy.

Nice project! Thank you for the write up. It will help me complete this same project over my tank.

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps
Dean Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote