View Single Post
Unread 08/20/2018, 11:33 PM   #23
cellingson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdan View Post
Now that I have 3 months of history with the screens, I can answer the warping question!

I wasn't sure exactly what would happen with the heat of MHs above and the water from the tank below, but I have the answer. My screens have a slight warp, where each end of the 44" screen is about 3/16" off the tank bracing, so each top looks like a very very shallow smile. My guess is the cause is that little pools of water inevitably get on the bracing for my acrylic tank, and the bottom of the screen absorbs the water causing it to expand a little bit and create the upward bend.

For me personally this 3/16" is not a concern at all, as they still look fine and the gap is really tiny and there is no way a fish could get out, but if you were very obsessive about your top being dead flat, maybe choose acrylic that is a little thicker.
Good to know. My 1/4" warped noticably. Not enough to let a fish out. Luckily the cut was completely symmetric and I would just flip the top each week when I cleaned the tank.

cellingson is offline   Reply With Quote