View Single Post
Unread 03/13/2018, 03:33 PM   #140
nightOwl
Premium Member

So now it's time to get everyone up to speed on what's been going on. First off Steve (SPotter) is a snitch but a great friend . Secondly I am back in the hobby for good after a few talks, emails, and texts, calls from quite a fellow hobbyist. I would to thank everyone for the encouragement and support. November and December are busy months for me and it was hard to focus on the tank like I wanted to. We also had a solar system installed in December so I was getting tired of spending money. I have tried to quit and sell the tank twice since then but this hobby is sorta like the mafia at times…easy to get in and hard to get out. Also fellow reefers are bullies and almost like drug dealers. They hide in the shadows and offer free or discounted frags and before you know it your hooked…lol. So with that I am back and more focused than ever.

Below is a timeline to get everyone up to date one where we are since 12/09/2017. Not much happened after 12/09/2017 up until Jan. I basically became a cabinet builder in my spare time. We also had solar installed and vacationed in St Lucia for our 10 year anniversary. Even though I was not working on the tank I kept my making entries in my planner.

01/08/2018 - Main Display Updates
The process was slow an it took a while to fully fill the tank. It took me 8 days on and off to fill the tank and the sump in order to get water circulating in the tank. In the second picture you can see the frag tank was up and running with my HOB skimmer. After the display was filled I learned I had a small leak on one of the drains that was later resolved by tightening the bulkhead.

Let the Water Flow
IMG_1172 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Almost There
IMG_1177 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr
01/16/2018 - Cabinets Installed

My cabinet project was almost complete. I still needed to finish the cabinet doors but because of cheap router bit I spent a whole Saturday trying to make the doors with out success. This was resolved by buying a Freud Router Bit! The white piece of drywall is my fridge place holder.

Installed Wall Cabinets and Base Cabinets in Place
IMG_1180 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr
01/18/2018 - Wrasse Screen Holders

Wrasses will be the star of my tank once things are up and running. In order to keep some of the more expensive and timid wrasses a screen top is a must. Over the years I have learned the hard way that they are jumpers and very good at it. With the euro-brace tank this presents a small problem for the screen top. After some thought I came up with my own supports. They are adjustable via a nylon screw to secure them in place. After my first prototype I built a jig to help me make more faster. It's very similar to the bracket I built for my Sea Swirl except I did not bend the plastic. I welded it together with weld-on #4 and tapped the holes with a combination drill and tap bit.

Parts
IMG_1183 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Jig
IMG_1188 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Assembly
IMG_1190 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Final Product
IMG_1194 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr