View Single Post
Unread 12/11/2005, 11:32 AM   #1
The Cardinal
Swede living in Finland

Documented feeding of cleaner shrimp larvae.

Hi

I have been trying to raise Lysmata Amboinensis for a couple of months now. I am well aware that most people consider this to be impossible and yes I have searched this site and the Internet for useful information for some time. I currently have a few shrimps that have survived for 7 weeks.

I would primarily like to know how long you have been able to raise these shrimps and what kinds of food you used in the different stages. I would also like to share my observations with the different foodsources.

Artemia:

I have noticed that they will take live baby artemia from day 1. After about ten days however they do not seem as willing/able to take this food, at least not as frequently (or it might be that it is more difficult to observe the feeding as they grow). They seem to need some kind of larger or substitute foodsource at this point. Jamie Craggs claims he has raised these shrimp solely on non enriched artemia though http://www.reefsuk.org/articles/capt...anershrimp.php

Mysid/Cleaner shrimp larvae:

I can confirm that they do eat mysid larvae that I caught upon their release on day 9. This food source lasted to day 15. The older cleaners do not, however, seem to eat cleaner shrimp larvae from later batches. Atleast no observations have been made up to this point.

Frozen Artemia/Cyclopeeze/Mysid/Flake:

I have tried giving them the frozen food above at different stages and they do seem to grab the foodsource initially but I am unsure if they eat from it or if they only inspect the food this way. This also happened when trying to give them crushed flake. There is an initial interest but after that they show no sign of grabbing/eating it.

I currently give them a mix of vitamin enriched live brine shrimp, frozen food and flakes. Although I cannot observe any feeding with any of these food sources at this stage they are surviving on something or they are starving very slowly. I will try and catch more mysid as this is the only foodsource I have seen them take after the artemia.

I have also seen that Rsman on this forum has succeeded with breeding this species, although I cannot find any information on how he did it. I have sent a message to him and hope that he will respond. Anyone knows how he succeeded?

I would be very thankful if people who have tried breeding this species can give documented information on the foodsources being accepted and at what stages these were accepted.

Thank you!

Peter

Last edited by The Cardinal; 12/11/2005 at 11:53 AM.
The Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote