View Single Post
Unread 11/05/2018, 12:40 PM   #1177
Louis Z
Registered Member

I say ok to the 71 hour mark but try to do the transfer early in the morning , before main lights come on. Somehow the parasite is triggered to hatch at daylight . As for a shortend TTM, you are on your own peril. Now saying that. I have done a shortend approach but with medication during the 72 hour periods . I can’t recommend to you but, this is how I have done it. I either use copper or chloroquine during the TTM . Tends to contradict the “med free” treatment of TTM. In addition some fish appetites are affected during treatment and also some species have shown toxicity to either copper or CP. again that also defeats the med free TTM treatment. I also use the praziquantel and metronidazole (General Cure ) during but not dosed at the same time as copper or CP. I also do FW dips and Seachem’s paraguard dips and only if I absolutely have to formalin dips . Unfortunately some fish come in with multiple parasites thus needing more than one type of medication. The dips are there to kill free swimming infective stages . So not only do you have to be looking for Ick but also velvet, Brooklynella, uronema which are all lethal and highly infective. There are other parasites also that are not that lethal ( body, gill, eye flukes) That may sound extreme and all these meds and transfers are difficult on the fish. Decreasing appetite and increasing anxiety. So it can be done but with great reservations . And do not forget to test for ammonia toxicity during these bare tank hospitalizations for that alone will kill the fish.

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote