View Single Post
Unread 08/10/2009, 03:09 AM   #18
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boret
Great looking tank!!! Thank you for the detail description on your dosing regime, I will be following your progress. One idea/suggestion, what about reducing your photo period 1 to 2 hours? I see that you have a fairly small cleaning crew, so with the 7:30 - 8 hours of MH light you might be feeding the algae more than you are giving a chance to your cleaning crew to take care of it. Just a thought.

I recently added a 20g long frag tank and put 4 T5 on top of it. I made a mistake in my programing and was having the lights on for 9 hours. I was surprised to see some algae growing in it while my main tank didn't have any (neither the fuge and sump). I have it on opposite photo period, and in a small room so I didn't even realize it was lighted for so long. I reduced the photo period to 5:30 hours and almost all the algae has disappeared.

This is just an opinion on what might be a cause for your algae. I still think the dosing that you are planning will probably make the water parameters even better and help the coloration of your SPS.

Good luck!!!
Thank you. However, I want to make it clear that I am benefiting from the hard work of others. The dosing regiment I intend to use was put together by RC Member SunnyX and can be viewed on his thread as well as his website. Information was also gathered from the Reefkeeping Magazine Article which was written by RC Member's Genetics and Stony_Corals.

I've played around with my photoperiod in the past, and have used variations ranging between 6 hrs to 10 hrs. They only difference I ever really noticed was the amount of time I was able to view my tank.