View Single Post
Unread 08/06/2014, 02:47 PM   #8
Tradewinds
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark426 View Post
I have my tank set up in my version of gyre flow. Similar rockwork as you have. What I did was to have both MP's on opposite side walls as close to the back as possible. I only have one MP running at a time (no anti-sync, etc). The flow runs clockwise for 2 hours then reverses and runs counter clockwise. I decided that running the flow in one direction all the time may not be as healthy for the corals and ditritus finds places to hide. All is controlled by an Apex. My corals seem very happy with this arrangement. Running in the reef crest mode.

Edit: You cant reverse the MP, anti-sync = one fast and one slow. Sync = both do the same. Second, in my tank if both MP are running even with the second one at its lowest speed it disrupts the gyre flow too much if you want to alternate the flow direction like I do. Just mount your pumps on opposite ends and try all the ways that work best for you. Its amazing the flow that gets going, my tank looks like a toilet flushing .
Mark, how are you controlling your Vortechs? I didn't see a way to turn off a pump using ESL.

I would also be interested in seeing a photo (or diagram) of the powerhead placement within your tank. I am still trying to wrap my head around the gyre flow concept.

I am also curious how the return flow from a sump will disrupt the gyre pattern, as it isn't as easily reversed.

Tradewinds is offline   Reply With Quote