View Single Post
Unread 04/15/2016, 06:01 AM   #3543
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34cygni View Post

Ultimately, my hope is that the sponge loop, along with the general propensity of sponges to consume labile DOC released by algae and the bacterioplankton that grow fat and happy on it, can stabilize a hobby system in a state where its microbiome is coral-dominant, and that when combined with a general effort to maintain sand bed biodiversity at the micro level across the entire system, this will keep dinos at bay even when N and P are zeroed out. Stable oligotrophy, like a real reef!
If you were to add a cryptic zone to the typical Display -> Algae Fuge / ATS -> Display. Where would you put it sequentially?

Quote:
Shame you don't have your phyto tea or live sand on hand... I wonder if OTC B12 or even just plain cellulose would tip the battle against dinos.
I still have my live sand, that I've pitched dinos into occasionally. What did you have in mind?

Quote:
The silica is unexpected -- since you mentioned not looking for diatoms, I'm guessing it was the Sundown Naturals that triggered the dino collapse... Did you use the NatureMade on the first run?
yes, nature made on first run. Sundown naturals on the 2nd.

Quote:
Cyanobacteria were dinoflagellates before dinoflagellates were dinoflagellates, and cyano will be dinoflagellates again when dinoflagellates are acritarchs. Cyano abides.
you got me. I lol'd.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote