View Single Post
Unread 01/02/2017, 01:49 PM   #17
jsdancer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
Alright, It takes awhile for your ions to equal out to make 3 even daily doses per component + parts.

Simplest way to to look at three Component +'s
Component 1+ = Cal & Mag.
Component 2+ = Alk
Component 3+ = Continual coral trace elements that are in salt mix.

The key is to lock in the dose of Comp-2 to the alk you want first.
Use that dosage for Comp-1+ and 3+ and don't change their dosage unless you have to up or lower Comp-2+ dose.

Most likely your Cal and maybe Mag will drop lower than you desire. (Your Ions have not balanced out yet)

Do not use Comp-1+ to bring up those parameters!
It has other stuff in it and you'll never balance out to 3 equal daily doses per day, per part. You will be just chasing.

So, Here's what to do. As long as Comp-2+ is still got your alk locked in.

Bring up your Cal and or Mag with "pure" chemical forms.
I used SeaChem "Reef Advantage" Cal powder and Mag crystals to keep those two parameters in check until my ions balanced out.

You could use AF pure Cal and Mag to do the same thing. I just had some "Reef Advantage" buckets in my garage.

After two weeks my ions balanced out and was at 3 equal daily doses per all three components + parts and put "Reef Advange" back in the garage.

Always kept dose the same for Comp-3+ to Comp-2+ and never changed that dose from Comp-2+. Again, Comp-3+ is trace elements.

If your Cal is rising too high during this adjustment period.I have nothing for you and never encountered that scenario.

I happened to be one of the first group of reefers in the US to use the AF Reef Salt (Not the Probiotic). So Deep Water was taking time to see if I was happy with the "Reef Salt". They were going into testing out the Probiotic salt in their systems.

When Comp-1+ 2+ 3+ first hit the US, Deep Water Aquatics took time to teach me this method for locking in all 3 parts equally and they were new to it too and were correct on how to do it.

Af Poland should make a You Tube video on this, and other video's explaining their entire product line like "Red Sea" has done.

Hope this helps and is typed in a understandable format.

Regards, GoVols and "Happy New Year"
GoVols I have a couple of questions for you.

I've been using AF products for 3 weeks. All "under" the recommended dose. Wanted to slowly build my system up to it.

I am dosing components 1-2-3
Comp 1 and 3 at 20ml per day
Comp 2 at 5 ml per day
Reason comp 2 at 5ml? I needed to bring down ALK from a high of 12 dkh.

Now my ALK after 3 weeks is down to 7.6. It has stayed at 7.6 for the last 3 consecutive test readings. I believe this means the ALK level is locked in, right?

I also saw my CA and MG levels drop and I have been using MECoral to bring those levels to where I need them. I just did a bi-weekly WC.
Should I start to bring comp's 1 and 3 down towards the 5ml per day?

And finally you stated"If your Cal is rising too high during this adjustment period.I have nothing for you and never encountered that scenario."
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this other than if your CA rises too high during the adjustment period since you have not experienced this you have nothing to offer this fellow reefer.

Is that right?