View Single Post
Unread 01/31/2017, 11:01 AM   #101
Johnseye
Reef Addict

I learned a critical step in setting up my Calcfeeder which I'm helping lionfish300 out with now. This may be common knowledge for setting up any calcium reactor, but it's my first. There can be no air in the reactor or in the co2 chamber when starting up the unit. All air must be flushed by filling all chambers with water. Then when you start up the controller, have the co2 turned up enough to fill the co2 chamber quickly enough or the controller will throw an error. The co2 must have filled the chamber down to the sensor or you will get an error.

If you have any air in the chambers then the PH will not get low enough to break down the media. My alkalinity had progressively dropped indicating an issue. I had increased my output to 4L per hour and alk kept dropping so I knew something was wrong.I tested the PH of the effluent coming out of the Reactor chamber (before degassing chamber) and found it was at 8.06, very close to my aquarium's PH. This is obviously too high to break down the media and showed I didn't have enough co2 in the chamber. Once I flushed all air out of the reactor the co2 went to work. I am using Two Little Fishies Reborn media and can confirm that the reactor does break this media down. I decreased my output to 1L per hour and my aquarium alk dkh increased from about 6 to 7.5 in just over a day. I have yet to test the PH of effluent out of the reactor chamber but will post it when I do.

New 260g build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557715

Current Tank Info: 260g reef, Giesemann Spectra MH/T5/Kessil A160, Dastaco CaRx, Vortechs, Lifereef skimmer, Red Dragon 3, Apex, Genesis, Angles, Tang, Trigger, Clowns, Anthias, Wrasses, Cardinals, SPS, LPS
Johnseye is offline   Reply With Quote