Thread: Then and NOW
View Single Post
Unread 11/13/2017, 02:03 PM   #57
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfallz View Post
Just briefly on the marine pure topic; you can have two tanks, both with a block.
If one tank has no NO3 issue that does not prove that marine pure is responsible, or effective. But if the other tank does have NO3 issues, that does prove that the marine pure was not effective, as in my case.

ICP testing has confirmed that marine pure leaches AI into the water.

And it is becomming apparent that when spirox is placed into an anoxic or anaerobic zone it leaches SI in high amounts

I half agree with you here.

All it proves if you use marine pure or similar and still have NO3 issues is that you have NO3 issues. Having NO3 or not having NO3 does not prove anything in regards to the media. All it shows is that it did not eliminate NO3 for that tank. How the blocks are implemented makes a difference on how effective they are. This is also stated in marine pure's FAQ section on this very topic.

Also, if you have 0 phosphate, you can add all the marine pure blocks you want, and your nitrates won't drop. Those are 2 scenarios where you could have nitrate and marine pure (or similar) where you haven't proven that it doesnt work, only that it doesn't work for your situation. There are more scenarios.

Anyways, they arent by any means a guaranteed nitrate reducing solution, but they are effective given the right conditions, same as LR.

I am aware of the aluminum, but as far as my research can tell, it has not been found to cause issues. There are lots of nice tanks with elevated Al from these blocks. I'm sure eventually it could become problematic, but I havent seen where someone has definitively determined that Al was a problem, and ive seen some pretty high Al levels on ICP tests.

I was actually not aware of the Si leaching of siporax, so thanks for that info. I'd like to do more digging there.

Subsea- nice updates. Tanks looking good

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk