View Single Post
Unread 12/26/2001, 04:34 PM   #3
Adam
Registered Member

Rafa and Dr. Ron,

PMFJI

With all due respect to the good doctors opinion, there is alot of controversy surrounding this issue. I agree with Ron that coral growth may be greater at higher temps (80-84), and that maintaining such temperatures consistantly will not cause bleaching (sudden rises in temps are implicated in bleaching events).

That said, our aquariums are alot different than the natural reefs. Bulk water movement is nearly non-existant in our tanks, bio-load is high, and our tiny boxes of water are subject to large temp swings if a heater sticks on, a fan stops or a chiller breaks down.

For all of these reasons, I personally choose to maintain my reef aquariums in the 78-80 range, and take particular precautions to prevent temp spikes (a temp controller shuts down my lights if the tem goes over 84). My personal feeling is that I can live with my coral growing a little more slowly to know that pathogens will as well. I also like the safety margin of higher gas solubility if a pump were to fail.

Years of experience by many hobbiests proves that any of the corals that thrive at 82 also thrive at temps in the 78-80 range (and even slightly lower).

Hope this helps.

Adam

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef