View Single Post
Unread 01/15/2019, 08:42 AM   #12
ReefWreak
Registered Member

IMO, if you have to ask the question Kalk or Reactor, then the answer is Kalk. Reactor or 2 part is for when those aren't keeping up anymore.

If manual dosing of Kalk powder to your top-off reservoir is a PITA, buy a kalk stirrer for $100, or buy the Tunze in-line kalk mixing chamber device. Whatever they are, they're hundreds of dollars cheaper than the cheapest (effective) option for a calcium reactor. A calcium reactor is a $500 investment, and isn't guaranteed stable or simple.

For reference, I'm an "advanced reefkeeper" and I made the mistake when starting a new tank of jumping straight into a calcium reactor despite having no corals at the time. It's been a nightmare of chasing (however little) parameter changes, I've spent a ton of money, and all of that was entirely unnecessary for anything short of a "very established system." I wanted to buy once and buy right.

It's like feeding yourself from Costco, when you live by yourself in a studio apartment. You have TONS of spare overhead, but it's a mess to manage day-to-day (although I always did the Costco thing IRL).

It also sounds like you have an open-top tank. If your demand isn't met by kalk at maximum saturation, you could start running a fan across your tank top to increase evaporation and add more kalk.

Also, just remember that while Kalk provides 1:1 calcium:alkalinity, your tank will likely use more alkalinity than calcium so you'll need some alkalinity supplement (baking soda or baked baking soda) on hand to restore the balance over time.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote