View Single Post
Unread 10/03/2018, 09:45 PM   #5
incloud
Registered Member

Okay guys, it's been a bit since I posted but I now have my Reefer 450 setup and it has been tested with tap water converted to standard plumbing. So now I have my 65 gallon reef running off the 150 gallon basement sump with all my equipment and as of now the 450 as a separate system. It's amazing and I love how silent the 450 is but the fact that I have a huge basement sump all set up for easy water changes and all my equipment attached so it seems like a waste to not take advantage of it with the Reefer 450. I'd love to have both the 65 and the Reefer 450 run off the basement sump but am very confused on how to run the plumbing safely to avoid any catastrophes. Tying into the system is easy enough and getting back to the Reefer is no problem. But once I get to the Reefer and use a second pump underneath to return, there's a lot to worry about. If the pump for the Reefer fails or the power goes out for any reason I'd have 150 gallons or more from my basement being pumped all over my living room. I have been trying to figure out a safe way to do this but the more I plan it, the more confused I'm getting.

The only safe way I can think of is to not use the sump under the 450 and only use the basement sump and the one pump. But then i'm wasting my 450 sump and won't be able to use my Bubble Magus Skimmer due to space. Plus without the sump under the 450 there would be no emergency drain unless another line of PVC was run down to the basement from the Reefer.

I'm sure I'm way overthinking this by now and that's why I've come here in hopes of some suggestions on what to do. All my sand and a couple cases of Reef Crystals will be here tomorrow so I'll have all I need but a plan.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T6PjomsRYKFQt5fb8

incloud is offline   Reply With Quote