View Single Post
Unread 07/20/2008, 08:00 PM   #97
jglackin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bergzy
interesting article herring!

when was it written?

the pictures of the tank inhabitants look happy and healthy with that 'thriving' look that reefers love.

have you ever tried sps' with the scrubber? the article i linked states that stony corals did not survive long with ats based filtration. do you have have a pic of your old scrubber? one of the things that discouraged me from using a scrubber was the whole dump bucket mechanism.

i found an article about scrubbers in advanced aquarist:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu.../editorial.htm

from a personal opinion, the display tank doesnt look too great...from an aesthetically pleasing reef appearance perspective. the only thing appearing to be doing ok is the big ol' mangrove. your tank appears to have thrived with the ats in growing softies and gorgonians.

i love your clam in the pic! gigas clams grow like a weed and are absolutely a thrill to have. i havent seen gigas clams on the market in a while. i am wanting to replace the one that my pygmy angel irritated to death.

on the topic of sponges. i have been getting an explosive growth of sponges with the installation of my 65g cryptic zone as closely replicated to tyree's description of it:
Tyree's Cryptic Zone
I have seen this tank in person. I know Morgan. The tank pictured is really nothing more than a mangrove lagoon, not something that I would use as an example for a reef hobbyist. The truth is, they run the entire facility on turf scrubbers. All 35,000 gallons. They have some of the most amazing SPS colonies I have ever seen grown in an artificial reef. Some of them are larger than a trash can lid.

Jim

170 gal curved glass
ATI 48" 8x54 Powermodule
AE400
ACIII Pro
Turf Scrubber
LiterMeterIII
4 Nanostream 6055s
Tunze Wavebox
Tunze 6201
Current Tank Stats: Click on my homepage

Current Tank Info: The one most valuable thing I have learned over the years is that the less I mess with my system, the better it does.
jglackin is offline   Reply With Quote