View Single Post
Unread 03/27/2018, 08:22 AM   #15
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Why not replace the brass screws with stainless versions? Seems like a design flaw to me.
These are all gen 1 lights. IIRC, circa 2012, many people were reporting that the fans were failing, which led the folks at ecotech to come up with a solution to retrofit a new fan in place of the old.

The old fan was glued in place with what looked like a clear RTV or silicone. The old fan bracket didn't have those pressed in nuts like the new (lower left of the last picture), it was secured to the fan with 4 screws on the backside, while another 4 screws on the front side held the fan cover in place. The retrofit allowed a longer screw to simply pass through the fan and thread into the pressed in brass. In my opinion, that's the better way to do it.

I would guess that ecotech was faced with time constraints to get a fix out the door and overlooked the material choice. Outside of gen 1 lights, i'm clueless to how the insides of the newer ones look. Maybe someone can chime in... Perhaps there haven't been any reports as to these causing any problems, I just wanted to stress that in order to mitigate this as best as possible, don't cut the power to your radions at night just to silent the fans and save a few pennies.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote