View Single Post
Unread 09/04/2009, 08:30 AM   #18
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Alan,

These routine dips are always somewhat chancy. Lugol's iodine was originally used to disinfect the cut site on freshly fragged corals. Then people started using it a a routine dip for just about any and all coral parasites. The problem is that there is little evidence it is effective, at the concentrations and durations used, to do more than kill bacteria.

If you are dealing with flatworms then Praziquantel seems to work pretty well. I'm always very cautious of adding meds directly into the display but used as a hospital tank treatment it seems to be a good solution. Flatworm Exit also appears to work but is needed at higher dosages than stated in the directions and, if used as a dip, several treatments need to be used.

I wish I could truthfully say that there is a product that one can use in the display tank and treats all diseases. Unfortunately I don't believe there are any and I'm sure if a miracle cure was found it would be really big news on RC.

The key, IMO, is to always isolate new introductions into the tank and, if a disease is noted, try to use a treatment specific for the disease. It is hard as we don't have a good handle on many of the problems that can plaque a reef aquarium.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote