View Single Post
Unread 10/19/2015, 07:59 PM   #333
jccaclimber
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindi View Post
Agree getting skimmer reset after an over organic event is a PITA. It applies to wet skimming as well as dry....slightly off topic but you refer to marking a gate valve . I would love that but for my main drain control valve..I have tried every type I can find on the Australian market and cannot find one worth marking because the operating range on them is so narrow that my overflow chamber can be altered from empty to full by tapping on a wing of the ball valve. Surely a finely controlled wheel operated ball or gate valve can be had somewhere in PVC. I have tried blade valves from USA...looked good..still no controllability.
I have actually found a way to do this really well and that is by building a branch off the main drain with a small cheap ball valve in it say 1/2" ...and get the flow right with the main branch and then fine tune with the trim valve. It works really well if you can be bothered with the 30 mins plumbing.
So to get back on topic our standard ball valves/gate valves tend to operate in too small an area to be worth marking...they are really intended for full on full off use.

I don't think there's a ball valve out there that will get you what you want. By their nature the flow resistance vs. valve angle on ball valves is steep and hard to control. Gate valves have a much longer control (rotation) per output (flow resistance). The downside to small changes is that they take a while to adjust. How much are you adjusting?
Using a gate and moving say 1/64 of a turn at a time, then waiting 10 minutes I would be surprised if you can't get the controllability you want.

jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote