View Single Post
Unread 12/02/2012, 06:49 AM   #10
elegance coral
They call me EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Most of these are particularly easy to frag. There's no reason or need to collect them from the wild, nor any reason to raise alarm in the hobby.
This is a huge cause for alarm in the hobby.

Once a species gets listed as threatened, or endangered, they can outlaw ALL trade in that species. It doesn't matter if that species is grown in captivity or not.

This raises some serious questions for our hobby.
Am I forced to euthanize the Ephyllia that's outgrowing my tank?
What happens to companies like ORA, or all the small "Mom and Pop" coral farmers around the country? Take away one or two of their big money makers, and this could force them out of business. Crippling these companies could increase pressure on other wild species like anemonefish, or corals that haven't made it on the list yet, but were once propagated by these companies.

I think we can all see that our coral reefs are in trouble, and most of us believe we need to do something. This isn't the answer though. It has been shown over, and over, and over again that through proper management, we can have the best of both worlds. Australia is a great example of this. By limiting the areas of collection, and the numbers being collect, Australia is able to utilize their natural resources to help feed their people, without raping the environment in the process.

Just my two cents
EC

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote