View Single Post
Unread 03/28/2014, 12:08 PM   #54
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks guys! I wish I could have found more.

Another interesting thing I read was varying C:N:P ratios (carbon to nitrogen to phosphorus) in the plant's tissue that averaged around 4000:40:1. This would seem to confirm 3DReef's idea of dosing carbon early on.

So at startup, I'm thinking substrate, some live sand, added live sand critters, as well as some cycling starter bacteria and the manatee grass. I may dose some ammonia to help both tank cycling and nitrogen uptake for the grass. I may also dose vinegar as a carbon source for them. I of course will be very careful and ere on the side of caution with any dosing.

I've been reading about fish-less tank cycling using household ammonia. Sounds like a good idea. As an alternative to that I may introduce 1 piece of uncured live rock, which should also be a good source of ammonia. On second thought, it may also be a good source of algae.

I guess cycling a new marine seagrass tank is for me, uncharted territory. Not a reef tank, not a fish only tank. Probably more like a fresh water planted tank really. It occurs to me now that there may be no rush to get through the nitrogen cycle with all the grass. And I'm in no hurry to introduce fish, so maybe no starter bacteria or ammonia. Any thoughts?

I'll cure all the rock separately. I'm only going to get 50 pounds of it for this 240 gallon tank, to provide bio-diversity, hard-scape and attachment points for some caribbean inverts like sea fans, gorgonians and anemones. The manatee grass will be the star of the show, occupying 1/2 to 2/3 of the substrate.

I can't wait!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote