View Single Post
Unread 02/27/2018, 10:37 PM   #4469
taricha
Registered Member

Dinoflagellates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsucre View Post

An unexpected situation happened. A relatively large montipora capricornis colony that I had, which was growing very well and looked very beautiful (bright red, with visible polyps) for about year; died suddenly. One day it was beautiful, the other all its tissue was melted-brown slimy. Frags that I had of that same monti cap on the other side of the same tank, are also dying. Luckily, I have some frags in my other system that I can eventually bring back to this tank.

Illumination has not changed.

I'm baffled...

Things that I can think of:

1. Could the dinoflagellates be related to this?

2. I introduced a new Montipora Capricornis, very similar to this one that died (red), but with yellow polyps. I have seen it called "Starburst Montipora", Tyree Starburst or Starburst Cap. That frag seems to be doing OK. Can it be related, perhaps chemical warfare (allelopathy) between Montipora Capricornis species?

How can this be so specific to just the montipora capricornis (large colony and small frags) and not other corals in the tank? And how can it happen so suddenly, one day all good, the other all dead?

Didn't you describe a brown blob-like infection that would show up when an sps got a cut?
It sounds like you have brown jelly disease in your system.
Throw some of the brown melted slimy tissue under the microscope.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote