View Single Post
Unread 12/18/2016, 12:14 AM   #92
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonezNReef View Post
I am definetly along for the ride. I'm living vicariously though your well documented build and taking some notes to help with my setup that I should be able to start around Christmas in hopes mine can be half as clean and appealing to the eye.
As for cycling I've considered the ammonia approach but not a fan of just how precise you have to be. Of course I am a bit lazy and this hobbies all about patients LOL. But if you do go that route I would like to see how it works for you.

Congrats on your build! You should definitely do a build thread, id follow it. Best part of this build was picking all the components and starting on assembly with everything on hand. Also up there, doing this build thread. It's cool to have it documented, I have all the photos in proper progression to show others offline. It was also good to get all my ideas out in one place, with comments / input from other reefers it is a plus!

You've helped me decide on the cycling: I have the biocube 29 observation tank I want to cycle quickly, so I'll give the Dr Tim's a try there exactly as his instructions describe.

On the main display, I'll do a traditional cycle using pure ammonia at 4ppm as a sterile tank.. basically as it is setup now: no rock, no sand, no filter socks. Just the bioreactor, a stable temp, and daily testing of ammonia / nitrite / nitrate.

I've had my mind on fish lately. I'll be adding the following fish in order:
1. 2 Tank-Raised Clownfish
2. 4-6 Purple Firefish
3. Dottyback (wife's pick)
4. 5-7 Blue Reef Chromis

I'm planning on setting up for TTM for ich beginning with the firefish, and prazipro in the biocube during observation beginning with the clownfish.

Since the main tank will take some time as a result of starting without any seeded substrate, I'll occupy my time caring for the clownfish and aquascaping.

I'll build the aquascape, leaving it in 3-5 large chunks to be glued in the display. Since the bacteria will be building a concentration in the bioreactor, they will quickly populate the rockwork even when added at the end of the cycle. Once the aquascape is done I'll leave the rock to soak in saltwater with a heater and pump for a couple of weeks while the cycle comes to an end.

At the end of the cycle, I'll add the rock and glue it, add the sand, and do the final ~90% water change to close out the cycle. Then I can add the clowns, and some marine pure blocks to the sump. I'll use those in the observation tank when the firefish complete TTM.

I'll also occupy my time cleaning and organizing the back room so all my reefing supplies are easy to find. I also need to add some plywood by the sink in the back room, that sprayer is powerful and I'm getting some overspray on the back of the exposed drywall, not a good thing.

Back to fish: I'd like the star of the tank to be a blonde naso [emoji3]
I'm sure there will be other fish too, I'm open to suggestions or opinions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

siliconinja is offline   Reply With Quote