View Single Post
Unread 04/11/2016, 02:38 PM   #3529
34cygni
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef
Interesting concept of an algae-dominant microbiome... Need to think and read up on that.
It's just a pet theory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34cygni
I'd bet good money that coralline is the canary in the coral mine signalling that the bacteria population in an aquarium is shifting away from the coral-friendly bunch that we want and towards dino-friendly types. And as I looked into this, I found that the bacteriological warfare going on between corals and dinos is just one aspect of the general competitive struggle for ecological dominance between corals and primary producers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34cygni
But it's probably Proteobacteria associated with other primary producers that outcompete the dino-friendly bacteria for labile DOC in healthy systems. Nutrient-limited algae dump excess photosynthate into the water column when the lights are on, so I'd expect the bacterioplankton population in a closed, recirculating, oligotrophic system to be dominated by algae-friendly bacteria. That would explain the low level DDAM effects reported on Santa Monica's site a few years back and why many hobbyists have difficulty growing coralline and keeping it healthy.
...but it seems like a reasonable extrapolation from this:

Influence of coral and algal exudates on microbially mediated reef metabolism
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...erj-01-108.pdf

34cygni is offline   Reply With Quote