View Single Post
Unread 07/09/2013, 11:30 PM   #5
ReeferGil
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potsy View Post
I recently restarted my 50 gallon reef and shortly after developed a bloom of ostreopsis dinoflagellates (identified by a microbiologist), a mixotrophic, highly toxic species. So, I once again restarted the tank after a month. After removing corals and fish, I massively overdosed the tank with peroxide to kill the dinos and am now waiting for things to settle down. During the tank's first inception, the dinos made a brief, very limited appearance and then disappeared. Something wasn't agreeable to them. If I looked under a microscope, I'd see a few individual dinos. But no blooms. I assume trace elements in the freshly mixed salt water might have had something to do with their resurgence.

Freshwater kills dinos instantly, so from now on, I'm going to perform a freshwater dip on each new specimen for a few seconds prior to its introduction to the tank.

Have you tried hydrogen peroxide dosing at 1ml per 10 gallons of water? It works wonders for many with dinos. I also tried Ultra Algae X and it didn't do much other than slow down the growth a little.
Great advice. I'm fairly new at this and currently have Dino in my tank as a result, I'm assuming, of my auto feeder being too generous while I was on vacation AND dosing Aquavitro Fuel minor trace elements. I've stopped the minor trace dosing and feed once every two days.

Anyhow, I'm really nervous about using HO2O in my tank. First of all, any brand of HO2O would work? Do I dose 1 HO2O:10 G SW all at once? My last question, is HO2O safe for all corals? Someone said it can kill my RBTA, your thoughts?

ReeferGil is offline   Reply With Quote