Thread: Water Changes
View Single Post
Unread 11/19/2017, 09:23 PM   #8
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog999 View Post
I appreciate you greatly. I actually just got a filter sock about a week ago. My tank just came with some square pads and a bit later than I should have done it but I bought a sock holder and some socks and I cleaning them every couple of days. Right now my biggest issue is there is quite a bit of crud in the sump. On one hand, I want to leave as it is a good place for the pods to do their think and it's mostly just fine sand picked up by my MP40 moving water pretty fast.

I think what I need to start focusing on is blowing off rocks when I suck water. I have a bit of cyano atm and yesterday I was scrubbing some off and I wasn't finding detrius on surface so the MP is doing it's job there. It's inside the rock structure I think I need to start working on to be safe.

I just added a small wavemaker into my fuge compartment to keep the chaeto moving as it was getting pretty nasty and i thought this would help get some stuff kicked up and into the sock. What else can I do to clean sump up a bit without messing with my pod populations?

I think I'll try two 10 gallon changes a week for the time being and see how that works. I'll actually store some of that water to put in my QT and keep those couple fish with the parameters they gonna be in.

I have an MP40 for main flow and it's running at about 20% and the seahorses seem to enjoy the flow; trying to make sure to have that area with a high flow rate.

I appreciate all help and tips.
I don't have socks in my drain so I periodically syphon the bottoms of my drain compartment and my return compartment. For the most part a DSB is self cleaning but I occasionally suck a thin layer off the top of it. My macros are crawling with pods and look pretty clean. If yours looks dirty I think I would shake it in a bucket of clean saltwater and then suck the pods up 1 by 1 with a turkey baster and return them to the fuge.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote