View Single Post
Unread 02/19/2014, 10:27 AM   #11
Spar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetheducati View Post
A little preventative maintenance could have prevented that incident. In a properly running setup, CO2 does not just run out without warning. The signs were there, you just missed it. That little gauge on the left tells you how much gas is in the tank. If it drops below 5, time to fill the tank.
Agreed. I do take accountability where due! What actually went wrong with my issue was that I did replace the tank right before my trip, and it was functioning fine, but something was wrong with the seal and the co2 leaked out. I just didn't hear the leak (likely the only sign I would have noticed). Or could call this an extremely poor procedure plan, as I should not have waited until last day to change it out... instead doing well in advance to allow 'issues' to show their face.

Quote:
But in all fairness, really anything could go wrong.
Your doser pump could break down or something with the two-part.
Yes, but with a Ca Rx you are dealing with a plethora of independent parts that if independently go down, you are screwed. With a doser pump, at least you are just dealing with one part.

Nonetheless, I do see where arguments on both sides can be made.

Quote:
With either dosing or a reactor, you need to test at least weekly.
+1 - I am an excessive tester and usually test KH 2x/week, Ca 1x/week and Mg 1-2x/month. I've heard a lot of people with Ca Rx's say they never test once they get it setup and going... scary really.