View Single Post
Unread 11/08/2016, 06:41 PM   #171
Aquamechanic
Registered Member

Hopefully this long post may help some of you apply my experience to your situation, even if not identical.

I was going through this problem for a few years with a clients tank. I have several posts on a few threads on the topic trying to find a solution with other dumbstruck enthusiasts.

So I gave up on the doomed setup and moved the fish and corals to other locations and drained it. Threw out the substrate and live rock, cleaned everything thoroughly and dried and left for a couple months. Started setup using distilled water and before tank sat for a few days or had salt added it started developing the signs. Cotton fuzz balls and slimy glass!

Here's the thing. The client had their office air tested with some prompting, and they found higher then normal air born particulate. I thought, well maybe this is just snake-oil salesmanship since the company now wants to sell him a $3000 air purifier but the guy says, 'have you had a flood?'. Client did have a flood. Six months preceding 'White Slime From Hell' inception aka. WSFH. Most drywall was only replaced but only 4' up the wall since they thought they were getting all the damage. Maybe not. Mold in walls was the final diagnosis.

So the air filter was installed, the office workers all expressed they are 'feeling better' and I was told to try again. The tank has been filled now for 2 weeks. The water has some gobs but they are likely leftovers from the last attempt that failed. The barrel downstairs which scummed up in days of filling a few months ago now has perfectly good DI water stored. No slime on bucket lid. Before it was a rag full of mucus.

I will try to remember to follow up soon and inform if the fix is in or if the WSFH is simply on hiatus.

Aquamechanic is offline   Reply With Quote