View Single Post
Unread 11/04/2017, 07:01 AM   #2
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

ich a big issue in larger tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozorowsky View Post
Should I buy a 3rd tank move the hippo there with copper?

Should I put him in 340 gallon tank once its cycled and let him out swim the ich?

Should I move all rocks/inverts/coral/sand to big tank let it sit for 76 days and treat copper in 55 gallon until the 76 day mark?

If one of your fish has ich, they all have it. From what I understand after 3-4 days of being on a fish, the ich falls off, makes home on the rock and sand, and then spawn where you get 100x’s more in several days and the process starts all over again.

The other fish in your system most likely don’t show signs, because they are healthy and not stressed out, which has allowed their immune system to fight it off; or because the Ich has attached to their gills and is not visible. Regardless, if one fish has it in your system, they all have it and are exposed to it. Think of it like being constantly around sick kids at school.... 90% of the time you will be perfectly fine as a healthy adult because your body and immune system can cope, but a few days of stress and lack of sleep and you’ll be sick in no time.

I am by no means an expert of fish treatment but I have both treated and had fish that had Ich. One thing to know, is that for some reason, Tangs are a lot more susceptible to having an Ich outbreak. Some people believe this is the result of their slime coat being not as thick as some of the other fish, which makes it easier for the Ich to attach itself to the fish’s skin.

The only way to get rid of Ich in your tank, is to leave it empty for 2 months. This starves the Ich out. For treating Ich on fish, there are medications, hypo-salinity (harder to implement successfully and causes some stress to the fish, and also the ‘tank transfer method’. One thing I am certain of, is copper kills inverts and corals, so if you plan to dose your QT with copper with your snails and inverts inside, they will die. This is also one of the reasons why it is so extremely difficult to prevent and cure Ich; it can be on anything wet that you out into your system and while fish can be treated, it is significantly harder to treat corals and inverts. Some people honestly acknowledge that their systems most likely have Ich and work on providing their fish with healthy diet and little stress so that there is never an outbreak. Again, it is almost impossible to 100% guarantee that everything wet that is going into your tank is Ich free.

Honestly, treating a new fish as if it has Ich when you first buy it is a LOT easier than once it’s in your system. I would say the vast majority of people have fish and thus systems that have Ich because of its reproduction cycles. Keeping your fish stress free, feeding them regularly will for sure help prevent an outbreak.

BRS did a YouTube episode on Ich and marine diseases You should check it out. It’s gives a high level overview of many of the common diseases and cures for them which you might find beneficial. They reference to numerous threads on here that help educate, inform and advise on how to prevent, cure and live with marine fish and some of the diseases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD

Last edited by shaginwagon13; 11/04/2017 at 07:07 AM.
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote