View Single Post
Unread 09/10/2018, 08:25 PM   #3
Hodad2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post
My pair of Bangai cardinals have spawned several times and I actually have three young which survived and are growing rapidly - all in a 90 gallon reef tank. I thought for sure the marine betta (comet) and the chalk basses would have eaten them all, but those three made it.

I feed that tank newly hatched baby brine three times a day, along with live daphnia, just in case more Bangais are hiding in the rock work. The outflow of one of the sump pumps goes to the bottom and full length of the tank, under the rocks, and it shoots food right to the bottom dwellers. I set it up this way for when I get a mandarin goby or leopard wrasse.

The only thing I did that's out of the ordinary is to feed the fish live mosquito larvae several times a day for the three months prior to the Bangai spawning.

I've been feeding mosquito larvae to saltwater fish for about ten years (or more) and it's their favorite food by far. And it's saved me a lot of money, as I simply net it out of my rain barrels.

I've had fish with extreme Mycobacteria marinum and kept them alive for months by feeding mosquito larvae.

I'd like to put the Bangais in a 40 gallon breeding tank, but I'm not sure how to get them out without damaging my corals - maybe a trap of some sort, like a pop bottle with an inverted top?

Who else here is breeding Bangais, and what kind of set up do you use? When I get them out of the display I'll probably breed them the same way I breed African cichlids. I also have a huge Diadema urchin I can place in the breeder. It's my understanding Bangai young hide in the spines of this urchin.

Mosquito larvae is a great addition to your conditioning diet for breeding. They go nuts for those! I have a pool and let it go last year because of Illness. I had an endless supply. Some breeders use them to stimulate spawning.
You’re correct with the urchin. It’s long spine urchins. The fry will instinctively hover between spines. I have two, but when I am raising new fry, I use an artificial urchin that I made from reef putty and zip ties. There no food for the urchin in the rearing tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hodad2 is offline   Reply With Quote