View Single Post
Unread 04/30/2009, 09:52 AM   #20
plancton
Registered Member

Since I accidentaly lost 15 gal, I had was obligated to replace them. After removing the sandbed there was no other type of algae left but the dinoflagellates, it seems that they start as a film type and when they overun a rock they form strong root like shapes on it, that´s why it looks like there are other types of algae present but its part of the same deal I´ve figured and it also goes away when nitrates start to be detectable, in these last days they were almost gone that´s why I started adding nori to my tangs yesterday and I was worried about the future of my sea hares and suddenly this.

I took a nitrate test last week and it showed less thatn 1ppm nitrate, not even 1 ppm yet. Don´t have new pictures but I can tell you it was looking crisp clean, untiil probably now. I haven´t even checked the tank yet.

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Eichler
It's suggested by many people, including myself, that people cease doing water changes during dinoflagellate outbreaks. I have some serious doubts about your reasoning behind not doing tyhe water changes though. When I look at the photos of your tank after the outbreak I see a tank with a melange of algae problems and something simply not possible if a tank has "perfect water quality". I really hope you're onto something but I feel as if you're making some big leaps to draw some of the conclusions you have.

I'm curious, how long has this tank been set up in the various photos and what are the details? In particular what type of filtration are you using?

plancton is offline   Reply With Quote