Thread: Kessil A350
View Single Post
Unread 06/24/2012, 07:23 AM   #351
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimforever View Post
Based on the spread and par I am getting on my frag tank I believe you would need roughly 6 of the regular 350s to approach the brightness of 2x 400 watt radiums for a 48x24x24 tank.
That is a 2 x 150 watt metal halide tank that will stustain anything anywhere in the tank. Using 2 x 250 watt bulbs on a tank of those dimensions would be suitable but approaching (if not certainly) overkill. There is simply no way on this planet that a 4' tank needs 2 x 400 Watt halides under any circumstances. I am not defending the Kessil lights (hell, most folks around here think I am an LED hater) but being upset that (2) LED fixtures that consume a total of ~200W are not as bright as (2) MH that consume ~1000W is kind of silly. I don't think any reasonable person expects a 100W pendant to be able to compete with a 500W fixture. LEDs are growing in efficiency, but still nowhere near 5x more efficient than conventional arc lamps.

Quote:
I have no regrets getting the a350w & I really do like it. I just think I set my expectations unfairly high in thinking that a single a350w could cover my 36x36x6 frag tank, and should have got at least 2 right off the bat.
That is more reasonable. The depth is not really the issue, it is the spread and basic physics at work (the inverse square law). (2) wides tilted slightly in to overlap at the same 9" height would likely be ok. You will still have weaker corners than the middle, but it will help. The problem is the square shape and 2 fixtures with a round radiation pattern. You have to be high enough to cover front to back and that is the same distance from side to side.

Last edited by BeanAnimal; 06/24/2012 at 07:34 AM.
BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote