View Single Post
Unread 03/24/2017, 09:12 AM   #15
karimwassef
Registered Member

After looking at these different techniques, I'm changing the build method from all glass to hybrid.

The bottom is very large 9' x 8' and I would like it to be solid enough to support my weight walking in as needed.

I also have more experience with plywood tank building.

The base was always intended to be wood studs with a 3/4" plywood top.

So I'm changing the bottom from flat glass to a multi-layer 3/4" plywood with epoxy -OR- 3/4" PVC sheet or board. The bottom is made up of two sheets creating a 3/4" base first.

Then the sides will also be the 3/4" vertical sheets (originally part of the base only) creating a 2" lip all the way around. The plywood sides will still go all the way to the floor.

Then a smaller 3/4" plywood sheet (3/4" from the sides and 1" from the back wall) inside to create a groove between the outside lip and the inside stack. I might double this up to make it 1.5" inside and 2" outside.

This should create a stable base for the glass to slide into like a frame.

If plywood, then I'll use the epoxy to seal. If PVC, it should be sturdy enough as is.

Overall I think this will be more structurally solid and cheaper.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote