Thread: Tusk feeding?
View Single Post
Unread 09/23/2017, 06:16 PM   #7
slay
Registered Member

I have an Australian tusk in my predator tank, but I asked to see if it fed in the shop before I spent my $200 on it. So mine ate immediately, but from seeing my friend's experience, if they aren't eating in 2-3 days of acclimation you may have a problem IMO - not an insurmountable problem, I've kept virtually anything that doesn't absolutely break the bank or a 480g tank in my salt career, and *most* difficult species I've found at least possible, if high in demands. Harlequin Tusks are IMO are pretty hearty eaters and should be eating once the initial "I'M IN A NEW TANK OMG" freakout subsides.

Mine loves, loves, loves live food first, (I'm fortunate enough, and I recognize more than most, to be able to afford 'ornamental' shrimp as food), I live in a large city that has live 30-40 per lb shrimp for sale as human food as well, but he'll take frozen shrimp and mixed seafood (cephalopods, mussels, shrimp etc.) as his second preference, with frozen prepared foods a distant third. He's about 8-9" now and finds frozen mysis and the like still "suspect", but readily eats frozen food in the absence of anything better - I suspect he likes to bite into bigger morsels now just as a personal preference.

I have an 18" or so Volitans lionfish (with a couple other large fish that aren't interested in eating the eyes off my sharks) in the same tank that I feed the same diet, and they all love my fresh offerings, or second my 20-30 per lb fresh gulf or Argentinian fresh shrimp, fresh squid (in pieces), or fresh scallop (the smaller kind, bay scallop) or small chunks of halibut. Frankly, I wish my diet was as nice lol.