View Single Post
Unread 11/05/2017, 08:01 PM   #125
nightOwl
Premium Member

General Updates

10/26/2017 - Expandable/Dynamic Manifold
While trying to solve an flow issue on the frag tank I decided to make a manifold to bleed off some of the water before it entered the tank. Long story short the pump is just too strong for the frag tank...that or my plumbing sucks...(that can't be the case...LOL). I am still having an issue with the overflow so I am going to to reread the Herbie thread again and see if I can tweak anything. Since I am not sure how robust the frag tank will be I wanted a way to expand the manifold as I needed. I came up with the idea that each manifold section should be its own unit and with that I can increase or decrease the number of manifolds units as needed. The proof of concept worked and I will also be using it on my main tank.

Two Unit
Dynamic Manifold by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Three Unit
Dynamic Manifold by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

11/02/2017 - Control Panel For Main Tank - WIP
By dumb luck I managed to make my hinged panel not hit the side of the tank. Because some of my cords were shorted than expected I moved the panel over a little bit. During design I thought I would have the panel swing open but after some thought decided to use hinges at the top since I am not sure how many Apex modules I will add and how much weight it will be. Rather than side mount and deal with sag I chose top mount. I am waiting for some hydraulic/gas hinges. Once they get here I will be able to not worry about it falling on my head...lol. If you notice the frag tank is cloudy as the cycle is well under way.

Control Panel
Control Panel by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

11/02/2017 - Rock Platform - WIP

I have mentioned this a few times but my goal with the main rock structure is for it not to sit deep in the sand and become a detritus trap. My plan is to make a false sand bed platform. I plan on covering the the platform with epoxy and sand. The height of my real sand bed will be under 3 inches and my platform is roughly 2-1/4 inches right now with the egg crate on top. I added the foam under the underside of the platform to help fill in some gaps. I am hoping the foam does not make it float too much and the weight of the rock will hold it down. Before adding the rock I plan to silicone the platform to the bottom glass then fill the tank with sand.

Platform
Rock Platform by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Epoxy
Epoxy by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Platform with Legs
Platform by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

11/05/2017 - Under Tank Light - "The Blinder" - WIP

I was doing some plumbing today and while under the tank realized I will need some extra light so since I hate plumbing I "accidentally" got sidetracked. About two weeks ago or so I was tinkering with my soldiering iron and decided I would need a light eventually under the tank. Today I created a little prototype enclosure for the what I had nicknamed the "Blinder". For anyone that has ever looked into the sun by accident when you look away even with your eyes closed you see "one" bright white spot. When I was testing out the "Blinder" when I first plugged it up there was a delay so I looked at the lights less than 1.5 feet away to see if it was wired properly and they popped on. Imagine 14 - 3W LEDs on full power that close to your eyes. For a about 45 seconds I could not see anything but bright white! I laid in the floor thinking my retinas were burned and my wife would come home and find me in the floor blind. After about a minute I was still seeing bright spots but I could tell I was not blind. It may sound funny now but I was really thinking all my sight was gone a few weeks ago...lol.

The "Blinder"
Light Protoype by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr