Thread: Dry fitting PVC
View Single Post
Unread 08/27/2010, 10:10 AM   #16
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HV1990 View Post
der_wille_zur_macht I usually agree with you on 99% of all things but dry fitting is a must for pvc. I could never see why you would want to eye ball things that will hold water with flow? Been landscaping for quiet a while and I know not all people can eye ball an inch let alone a foot.
I'm not advocating eyeballing things by any means - quite the opposite. Measure and cut accurately, and both eyeballing and dry fitting will be meaningless!

I'm also not suggesting that dry fitting is evil. If you've got something tricky and you're not sure you measured correctly, by all means, dry fit - but keep in mind that when you glue it up, things will be "shorter" since the pipe will likely slide deeper into each socket.

Quote:
Anyone see any problems with going one fitting at a time, then measuring and cutting for the next fitting as I go? Or should I just try and make it all up before putting anything in place and hope I did my math right?
No need to do complex math or figure and cut every piece before you put it all together. Measure and assemble as you go. As long as you carefully plan your routing, this will be pretty foolproof.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote