View Single Post
Unread 04/06/2010, 09:14 AM   #662
toeside
Registered Member

Smile

Been following the thread for a while... and just wanted to report results of VC treatment on my own tank. I run a 10g/10g with PCs hosting soft and LPS corals.

Maybe two months ago, virtually every zoanthid in my tank was unhappy. All were either closed or partially closed and some were even receding. Everything else in the tank, frogspawn, GSP, xenia, mushrooms, etc. looked good. The green hair algae covering my rock and zoa frags also looked very healthy.

For the zoa problem, I had tried different lighting, moving to quarantine, medication, changing salt mix (to Reef Crystals from IO)... you name it... nothing seemed to help. Finally, I ran across your VC dosing system here, and gave it a go.

I dosed what I thought to be 10ppm twice a day for two weeks. I dissolved 1/8 teaspoon of sodium ascorbate powder into a bit of RO and added to my sump. For my system and the powder I was using, that may have been too much, because towards the end, I started seeing some clouding and whitish growth on my glass and my xenia started to get really skinny. At that point, I stopped dosing.

The very good news is that just a few days into it, the positive results began. First, the zoas were clearly more colorful... the centers of the partially open ones fluoresced beautifully. Then slowly but surely, the polyps on each different variety began to relax and open. And each day they seemed to look better. The improvement has continued to this day, even though I stopped dosing over a month ago. I can say these corals even look better than the day I got them home from the store.

And it gets better. My GHA problem has completely disappeared. I mean it is g-o-n-e gone. I wasn't counting on the VC to help with that, but it has. I am literally thrilled with the results. I can't say enough about how much it has helped. THANK YOU for all your help!

toeside is offline   Reply With Quote