View Single Post
Unread 03/06/2018, 11:30 AM   #10
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoreef2016 View Post
I asked Randy Farley Holmes this same question in a diff forum, as I am tinkering around the idea of Triton or ATI Essentials and can't wrap my head around why 10x flow through the sump. He stated (much more eloquently than I will be able to regurgitate) that from a chemistry perspective nothing will happen in 10x turnover that wouldn't happen in 5x. Stated differently what would happen in your sump every 6 minutes versus 12 minutes?
exactly..
I can't see how any more than a 1 time an hour turnover is needed as far as water chemistry is concerned.. and 1 time and hour is probably more than needed to keep parameters stable enough between display and sump volume.. I just picked 1 hour for discussion sake really as its typically far lower than the normal 3x-5x-10x display tank size in GPH recommendations floating around.. I too throw out those numbers but usually state "the commonly accepted answer" or something to that effect..

Thats why to me you match skimmer performance and anything more is just a waste of energy..
Or whatever "filtration" you have down there..

Skimmer performance/processing rate should be fairly easy to calculate and usually known (all though the air injection does not allow one to use the pumps stated rate).
Flow rate through a canister or reactor is known (for the most part based on the pump used for it)

But I haven't seen any studies on the processing rate of macro algaes,etc.. they are likely out there I just haven't come across them easily yet..
IMO triton just pulled that 10x right out their butts.. 10x is cooler than 3-5x