View Single Post
Unread 11/21/2017, 11:30 PM   #151
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I’ve used ozone on and off for over 20 years. There was an article I read many years back that discussed it but one of the reasons is that Lignite carbon is more porous and has a greater surface area as a result. This is why BRS indicated that is softer. It’s porous nature makes it that way. The greater surface area and porous nature of lignite make it very efficient at removing excess O3. It’s also lower in phosphates than other carbons. There were other reasons as well but I honestly don’t remember that. I always rinse my carbon and when I ran my ozone reactor, that was no exception. You don’t run high flow through the ozone reactor so carbon dust should never be an issue. Lignite carbon is also inexpensive and since you use a pretty fair amount of it in the reactor, that is a good thing. And yes, I changed my ozone reactor carbon about once a month. Since ozone oxidizes organics, the carbon catches some of that and I would venture to guess that the ozone also has an impact on the effectiveness of the carbon over time.
Makes sense. I went ahead and ordered a full gallon of Lignite carbon this evening from BRS. Thanks for the background info Scott. I appreciate it.

ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote