View Single Post
Unread 05/06/2009, 12:39 PM   #206
scratt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
Matt, the worms are a good sign

As a suggestion buy a good amount of live rock and put it in a plastic tote or tube. Cure the rock in there--doing regular water changes. At the point of zero ammonia and nitrates you can add to your tank all at once.

The other merit of this approach is that you are ruling out the possiblity of ich being introduced from the purchased live rock.
If you let the rock cure for 4 weeks--that chance is minimal to nothing.

Corals aren't a big bioload so you should be alright--unless you follow your suggestion of adding the live rock directly to your tank and doing water changes---that could cause of problem with water quality for the corals.
Awesome, thanks. I realized after I posted that the rock I intend to buy is "fully cured". I saw the guy's warehouse about a month ago and he said he keeps the live rock in there for at least a month before selling it.

I'll double-check with the supplier and then follow your suggestion of keeping it in a tub if I'm not satisfied with how long he cures it.

Is there anything I can do to help with the website, please let me know. I do IT for a living, so I am pretty good at scripts, data processing, etc. I'd like to give back if possible.

scratt is offline   Reply With Quote