View Single Post
Unread 10/06/2015, 08:14 AM   #2027
natas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasroman View Post
I agree with almost Everything. I have struggled with dinos 7 times, and tried Everything. My brief conclusions is:
1)Algenex works, but the dinos will often be back and the corals suffer some from algenex.
2) cut off the light works but only for the moment. it will be back
3) Probiotica does not work
4) Rising ph is difficult and has no clear effect. I have red some studies that tell the counterpart but i doubt...

The only cure i succeded with is to eliminate all the sand, as it Always start there. Then, rinse the sand in H20 ands replace after one week. It has in my all cases succeded with 100%!
I have also noticed one more thing: There is a Connection between fine sand(up to around 1 mm) and more dino. In an aquarium with mixed sandbed i noticed that there was no dino in the bed with grain size over 2 mm, all the dinos was in the sugarsand. After that i swithed to grain size around 2-5 mm and i have had no dinos since.
I can throw the opposite out. My sandbed was 2-5mm and I had dino. I removed it and the Dino just moved to the rocks.

I think only certain types of Dino are affected by cure X. High PH seems to kill some types of Dino. I think the proper way to tackle them is to try multiple things and maybe even go down a list of things to try in a certain order (from easiest to hardest or maybe risk).

For instance. X notices dinoflagellates.

Lowest Risk:
1) Stop Water Changes
2) Add Pods and feed phyto
3) Lights Outs for 3-4 days
4) Siphon Sand bed
4) If this is positive do the same thing 1-2 times a month until Dino is gone

Medium Risk:
1) Start building up bacteria and other competition (pods)
2) Lights out
3) Siphon Sand bed

High Risk:
1) Dose H2O2 at X rate while lights out
2) Keep Lights out for 3-4 days and continue daily dose of H2O2
3) Remove Sandbed

Thats why I think it would be nice for someone who is smarter than me to write up a Article about dino and list out a plan to tackle them. Show all options (UV, H2O2, pods, Bacteria additions, No Water changes, lights out etc....). The article should also go into identification and how it is believed that they can work with Cyano. Explain a microscope is a sure way to ID it and show examples of different types along with Dino/Cyano blends.

natas is offline   Reply With Quote